A LUPUS POEM

Gawking, wide eyes 

To speculate why;

Pointing so rudely

While passing me by.


The curious staring 

With puzzled foreheads

At oozing and swollen

Cheeks, puffy red.


Forced on an elevator

with a sweet, little boy...

Scared to get near me,

I felt so annoyed.

“Mommy, what happened?

What’s wrong with her face?”

I forced a sweet smile,

And asked God for grace.


Oh, butterfly rash

won’t you flutter away;

Take with you the cold

That turns my hands gray.


Home to my haven,

Finally to rest;

Exhausted and hurting,

But God knows what’s best.


Phone won’t stop ringing;

“Hello.. I’ll be late...

Enflamed, aching joints;

God wants me to wait....


I thought you understood

This chronic disease;

When healthy cells attack,

My life has to freeze.”


Effecting the body

In all different ways,

Flares can cause pain,

Severe, some days.


No longer in haste

Can I jump up and do;

Choices are made

Kept simple and few.


Pacing and planning,

No energy to waste;

Taking new medicine,

Out comes the moon-face.


“Honey, you’re home!

Why sad and depressed?

How was the school day

Be happy, you’re blessed.”


“Oh, Mommy, this boy....

So awful and mean,
Said you are fat

And caused a big scene!


I know it’s your medicine

That makes you gain weight;

At least you’re alive;

God is so great.”


“Some organs, so damaged,

Now healed from strong pills;

Let’s praise God together....

When empty, He fills!”


Whispers of gossip...

“She certainly can’t go

To slow us right down;

We must tell her, 'No!'


Emotions and loneliness,

Feeling left out;

Insensitive comments,

Pity and doubt.
The ups and the downs

That illness can give,

Drive me to Jesus

Who died, so I’d live.


Rich lessons I learn,

Refining as gold;

Promises savored,

Faith never old.


A gift sent from God,

His Sovereign plan placed;

Controlled by His hands,

To accept and not waste.


His presence draws near,

Our Hope all along;

His grace all sufficient,

When weak, we are strong.


We humans may gawk,

Say wrong words so bold;

But our best friend is Jesus,

His love’s never cold.


Tests become triumph,

Lupus, my gift;

Oh, butterfly linger,

I don’t want to drift!


To focus on Jesus,
His love, so secure;

The aches and the pains,

I’ll gladly endure.


The things of this world

Are temporary and pass;

But the things unseen,

Are eternal and last!
Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...