1. Use yogurt instead of sour cream in dips.
2. Substitute rice and pasta for egg noodles.
3. Trim fat off meat before eating.
4. Use fresh fruit for dessert instead of high-fat desserts.
5. Minimize use of butter.
6. Bake, broil, steam, or boil instead of deep-frying.
7. Avoid fatty gravies and sauces.
8. Cut down on whole-milk products. Use 2%, 1%, or skim milk.
9. Increase use of olive oil.
10. Use egg whites in recipes, instead of the whole egg.
11. Limit foods containing palm and coconut oils, lard, and butter.
12. Popcorn is a good low-calorie snack, without the butter.
13. Eat whole wheat or whole grain and oat fiber. Increase fiber intake.
14. Choose low-fat lunch meats.
15. Cut down intake of bacon, sausage, and hot dogs.
16. When eating chicken or turkey, remember white meat has less fat than dark meat.
17. Buy salad dressings with unsaturated oils, like olive oil.
18. Skim off the fat from the tops of soups.
19. Limit intake of store-bought baked goods. Try low-fat cookies and crackers. Angel food cake is low in fat and cholesterol.
20. Make changes gradually. It is better to splurge once in a while than to cheat a little every day.
21. Purchase a good low-fat cookbook.
22. Read food labels.
23. Aim for variety, and make sure it is well-balanced.
24. Never go shopping when you are hungry!
25. Eat smaller portions of high-fat foods like meats and cheese and larger portions of vegetables.
26. Try to avoid processed foods and eat natural foods.
27. Replace oil with vegetable cooking sprays.
28. Replace potato chips with taco chips.
29. Use mustard instead of mayonnaise.
30. Don't eat red meat more than once or twice a week.
31. Eat salads and fish.
32. Try fruit smoothies.
33. Don't butter bread.
34. Avoid fast-food restaurants.
35. Go for red sauces instead of white sauces.